Safe, Simple & Cost-effective Transfer of Leaking Fuel Rods & Fragments
Westinghouse Quiver provides a means to transfer your leaking fuel rods or fuel rod fragments to a bundle that can be treated just as other intact fuel bundles are treated in your spent fuel pool.
Safe, Simple and Cost-effective:
- No special treatment is necessary, as use procedures are standardized
- All handling is done on site, and is the same as handling for a regular fuel assembly
- Handling occurs completely under water
- Seals with a screw joint, with no welding needed
- Fuel can be dried and backfilled with helium in the spent fuel pool
- Storage in a dry cask among other fuel without need for a damaged fuel can
Plants in Sweden and Switzerland already have successfully used Westinghouse Quiver. Now your leaking fuel and fragments can receive a new and stronger barrier, enabling you to prepare for dry cask or interim storage.