National Welding Month: 2019
To celebrate National Welding Month 2019, Westinghouse is honoring our welders, fabricators, fabrication mechanics, automatic welders, weld engineers, and more from around the globe throughout the month of April.
These ten employees reflect on what they love most about their welding career. #NWM2019
"What I love most about being a welder is sharing the skills and knowledge with other people to either change their perspective or enhance their skills."
- Ryan Dagen, Welding Engineer, Shoreview, MN
"When I was young and looking at career options, welding seemed to be a lucrative and secure occupation. I also love the fact that I can do something most people are not able to do."
- Lee Going, Maintenance Team Manager, Columbia, SC
"I really appreciate having a job at Westinghouse Mangiarotti. I enjoy a very good work environment with my colleagues and my boss."
- Sandor Kalenda, Automatic Welder, Gorizia, Italy
"I really enjoy welding and...always want to demonstrate my skills with every critical component I touch."
- Lorenzo Leandrin, Semi-Automatic Welder, Gorizia, Italy
"I enjoy working with metal products and started my welding career at the Blairsville site in 1980."
- Brett Leysock, Fabricator, Blairsville, PA
"I became a welder because of my grandfather. He worked with metal all of his life as a master founder."
- Mark Lundgren, Fabrication Mechanic, Newington, NH
"My two brothers are both welders...I am both a manual and an automatic welder and have worked at Westinghouse Mangiarotti for six years, alongside my brothers."
- Nedzad Mrkaljevic, Automatic & Manual Welder, Gorizia, Italy
"The thing I love the most about being a welding engineer is being able to develop welding procedures to strict and sometimes difficult requirements."
- Steven Russell, Weld Engineer, Newington, NH
"I was drawn to welding as a teenager and have enjoyed it over the past 30 years. Being able to build or repair almost anything made of metal and seeing the end product built is very rewarding."
- Dave Smith, Fabricator, Blairsville, PA
"I took welding in high school for two years and it just came natural to me, so 30 years later I’m still enjoying what I do every day."
- Chad Smith, Mechanic A, Columbia, SC