Pumped Thermal Energy Storage (PTES)
Engineered to Fill the LDES Gap to Enable the Global Energy Transition.
- Low cost — Offers a lower levelized cost than currently available technology CapEx, OpEx and end of life.
- Scalable — No topographical or geologic dependencies; can be built anywhere with a fully domestic supply chain.
- Flexible — Modular solution that can uniquely serve high power needs at both medium and longer GWh durations. Provides grid inertia and other ancillary services.
Innovative Design Coupled With Tested Technology
Example PTES Site Layout
Advanced Supercritical Carbon Dioxide (sCO2) Technology
- Efficient heat pump and heat engine cycle
- Echogen is a world leader developing sCO2 systems for power generation
Unique, Patented Thermal Storage Solution
- Engineered concrete thermal batteries
- Low-cost materials
- Power turbine and low-temperature compressor are derivatives of existing designs
- Heat exchangers, piping, valves, controls are of similar design to existing sCO2 systems
- Printed Circuit Heat Exchangers (PCHE)
Leveraging Existing Equipment and Known Components
Thermodynamic cycles transform energy between electricity and heat
Charging Cycle (Heat Pump)
- Supercritical CO2 heat pump (refrigeration) cycle
- Uses electrical power to move heat from a cold reservoir to a hot reservoir
- Creates stored energy as both “heat” and “cold”
Generating Cycle (Heat Engine)
- Supercritical CO2 heat engine (power) cycle
- Uses heat stored in hot reservoir to generate electrical power