Westinghouse is currently developing the eVinci micro reactor, a next-generation, very small modular reactor for decentralized generation markets
The eVinci micro reactor’s innovative design is a combination of nuclear fission, space reactor technologies and 50+ years of commercial nuclear systems design, engineering and innovation. The eVinci micro reactor aims to create affordable and sustainable power with improved reliability and minimal maintenance, particularly for energy consumers in remote locations. The small size of the generator allows for easier transportation and rapid, on-site installation in contrast to large, centralized stations. The reactor core is designed to run for more than 10 years, eliminating the need for frequent refueling.
The key benefits of the eVinci micro reactor are attributed to its solid core and advanced heat pipes. The core encapsulates fuel to significantly reduce proliferation risk and enhances overall safety for the user. The heat pipes enable passive core heat extraction and inherent power regulation, allowing autonomous operation and inherent load following capabilities. These advanced technologies together make the eVinci micro reactor a pseudo “solid-state” reactor with minimal moving parts.
Key Attributes of eVinci Micro Reactor:
- Transportable energy generator
- Fully factory built, fueled and assembled
- Combined heat and power – 200 kWe to 5 MWe
- Up to 600ºC process heat
- 5- to 10-year life with walkaway inherent safety
- Target less than 30 days onsite installation
- Autonomous load management capability
- Unparalleled proliferation resistance
- High reliability and minimal moving parts
- Green field decommissioning and remediation
Learn more about how you can partner with Westinghouse on eVinci Micro Reactor. Contact Kris Paserba, Marketing manager, at 412-374-4971.