Westinghouse is currently developing the eVinci Micro Reactor, a next-generation, very small modular reactor for decentralized remote applications
The eVinci Micro Reactor’s innovative design is a combination of space reactor technologies and 50+ years of commercial nuclear systems design, engineering and innovation. The eVinci Micro Reactor aims to create competitive and resilient power with superior reliability and minimal maintenance, particularly for energy consumers in remote locations. Its small size allows for standard transportation methods and rapid, on-site deployment in contrast to large, centralized stations. The reactor core is designed to run for three or more years, eliminating the need for frequent refueling.
The key benefits of the eVinci Micro Reactor are attributed to its solid core and advanced heat pipes. The heat pipes enable passive core heat extraction, allowing autonomous operation and inherent load following capabilities. These advanced technologies together make the eVinci Micro Reactor a pseudo “solid-state” reactor with minimal moving parts.
DeVinci™ Mobile Nuclear Power Plant
While the eVinci Micro Reactor design is transportable, the eVinci Micro Reactor designed for government usage allows for mobile operations utilizing standard military transportation vehicles and containers. The nature of the design will allow the reactor to be rapidly transported to sites as needed to create an abundant and resilient power supply to support advanced defense systems.
Key Attributes of eVinci Micro Reactor:
- Transportable energy generator
- Fully factory built, fueled and assembled
- Delivers combined heat and power – 1 MWe to 5 MWe
- 40-year design life with 3+ year refueling interval
- Target less than 30 days onsite installation
- Autonomous operation
- Power demand load following capability
- High reliability and minimal moving parts
- Near zero Emergency Planning Zone with small site footprint
- Green field decommissioning and remediation